THE ESSENCE OF FREEDOM...

I was writing my thesis on prostitution and for the clear knowledge of it; I was visiting some red-cross area. Life in these areas is quite mesmerizing because you would never have been visited in such a society where every single woman is in full makeover. No woman is ugly; they are either pretty or prettier so you will find prettiness everywhere. While visiting such area I have become so conscious of myself because I look so blend and simple among this people. I feel like I am way simpler and out of place. Anyway, I was starting with the observation section of my research and a lot has come to my knowledge which I would have never known from any source. Every single lady was busy entertaining their customer and all looked satisfied with what they were doing. By observing these ladies it seems like prostitution is nothing more than just a normal job like every other job and they are just busy minding their own piece of cake.

I was not suppose to stay longer in one particular building because if anyone notices anything about me then they would not be getting customers so I was hushed away as soon as some customer appears. I was permitted to interact with the ladies but most of the time the so called head-mistress will always poke in her eyes and no one is allowed to express much and this was not at all helping me on my research. I was expecting to get some concrete reality which is unknown to all of us but I guess if all the head-mistress will behave in such an intriguing manner then I would never find anything awakening from this observation or interviewing under the surveillance of head-mistress. I think I have to look for some other ways to connect with them.

After putting all my strength on my small brain I have come down to this conclusion that I would never get a clear picture of the world of prostitution and its consequences but I have got a small evil hint from my mind. I will be getting all the knowledge of this world only when I am part of it and in order to be part of it, I have to be among them. I have only one situation left. I have to be in that society and for that I have to live there. I know this is a stupid idea but I think I can do this. I know this is a risky thing to do and research is not more important than my life but I really wanted to know about the dark side of the prostitution world and I would like to help the woman through my thesis by bringing out their actual situation in which they have to enter into the prostitution world and be the taboo of the society.
I will continue writing my thesis while staying there with the help of my observation and interview and I hope I would not screw up the things there.

Today I went to the other side of the red-cross area where I have not visited yet and I went inside to the first building. Head-mistress was sitting and giving advice to the woman standing near her but as soon as I entered she stopped talking and told her to go inside. I went and start crying and told her that my parents have left me in this area while I was asleep. I told her that I am from the nearby village and I came here with my parents so that we can earn something and go back home but when I woke up, I was alone and I do not know anyone here. I tried so hard to cry more and more so that she will take it genuinely. She consoled me and tried her best to calm me down. She called out for someone to get some water. A girl came out with water and handed me a glass. I drank some of it and started to cry again. Finally she took me inside and she told me to take some rest and then we will talk.
It was night when I woke up and a girl of my age was sitting near the window. She was crying and she was very much pretty. Her face was shining more than the moonlight falling upon the curtain and I was worried that even the wind would hurt her skin. She did not notice that I was awake. I went near her and touched on her shoulder. She startled and began to wipe her tears as quick as possible and gave me the cutest smile I have ever seen but it was unreal in every form. I asked her if she was unwell or something else. I guess she was in deep misery that’s why she just could not stop herself and started to cry again and told me that she was the daughter of the head-mistress and her mother is forcing her to start dealing with the customers and that means to start the life on the way of prostitution.

I was shocked for a moment. It was like taking the same blow when I came to know that I am an adopted child of my parents but here the scenario is different, her own mother wants her to be part of the prostitution world. I was thinking that the female section in India go for prostitution just because to survive and do not sleep empty stomach every night but what should I make out of this situation. Now I am sure that there might have been several more reason to opt for prostitution because prostitution is a taboo in our society but still a mother wants her daughter to go for it. I am just ashamed of being part of this society where you are forced to use your body to earn money. I would have definitely understood if someone have no other option but I think there are more to find out. 

I do not even ask her name but start questioning to her that why her mother is forcing her to do so. She told me that her mother just wanted to get more money to satisfy her own desires and in this she is even ready to use her daughter. And she told me that there are many other girls in this building who are forced to do this work but there are other girls too who are just here to earn money and help bring up their children as their husband has either left them or are busy drinking or unfortunately death or many more reasons and most of the girls are bought from a man who usually comes once in a month with girls. I asked her about this man and I thought I should not have asked her because the answer was crueler than the reality. The man was none other than her own father. I just was not able to open my mouth.

Right now I hate every individual in India. If whatever she is moaning is the truth then I am ashamed of being an Indian where your own parents are your enemy. I was busy on my own thoughts but she shrugged me and requested me to run away this very instant or else I will be the first one to entertain the customer tomorrow.

I was getting ready to leave but when I turned back to take a final glance of this girl, I just could not lift my feet. I turned back and begged her to come with me. She looked at me as if I was talking something impossible. I told her that her parents will be happy to have her because she herself was adopted and her parents will definitely help her. She said that she cannot go because if she is found again by their parents then her life will be horrible. I promised her that nothing will happen to her. Her feet were fixed and she said that I do not have much time. This might be the feeling of a defeated person. I felt so helpless and angry at the same time. I started to leave but I turned back and said that tomorrow she will be the first girl to entertain the customer as I was leaving.

I was climbing down the window and she was just behind me. We were running like a nomad and I could feel the freedom which she is feeling right now and even I was smiling. I know tomorrow will be different consequence for all this step but today and this very instant I felt happy for this girl whose first name is still unknown to me. I felt like we were ‘Thelma and Louise’ for the very moment and if we succeed in this run then I am sure I am going to write such a thesis about the red-cross society in India that the Indians will be ashamed of being Indian.

Comments

Contact Us

Name

Email *

Message *